Sunday, April 18, 2010

One of my high school workshop mentors is in this article!

I just read an article online that says FIU's (Florida International University) journalism program is going downhill. Accusations towards the dean of the school are going the opposite way. Staff members and students are complaining that the dean is never in her office, she retaliates against dissenters, and lets class sizes be up to 200 students.

After reading this article, I was really worried about my James Ansin/Peace Sullivan Workshop in Journalism and New Media roommate of three weeks Melissa Caceres. She has such a promising future as a print journalist, and it scares me to know that her school is going under. Then I got to the end of the article. There are several quotes from one of the workshop's mentors, Fred Blevens.

Everyone in the workshop loved Fred because he was such a great instructor and confidant. Pretty much all the drama that occurred, Fred would be the one to set it straight. He is very nice, but when something is bothering him, he makes a point to set it straight. It was really good to read his name in this article.

I really hope that things shape up over there. From what I read, FIU needs a change. There needs to be another dean. My vote? Fred Blevens for DEAN!!

To read more, go to this link:

2 comments:

  1. I don't know much about FIU, but that is terrible that their journalism program is suffering. I am grateful to be a student in one of the journalism programs at the University of Miami.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To have a class size 200+ for a subject such as journalism is ridiculous. It is hard enough to learn basic definitions in a class of that size, let alone intricate writing techniques.

    ReplyDelete