Sunday, April 25, 2010

EPIC


We watched a video in class last Wednesday that just blew me away. The name of it was"EPIC", and it really scared me. Many of the premonitions in the short film were true. Two examples of this was the Google satellite images, now called Google Earth, and the little clip where it shows that people will be connected by their own media and they will be able to be traced via satellite wherever they go. For the latter, I don't know if there is a place on the internet that does that, but I know that on the iPhone there is an app that traces where everyone is...I think it's called Loopt but I'm not quite sure.

The reason this video frightened me so much is because I am an old-fashioned person. Yes, I was born in the 1990s, where technology was practically revolutionized, but I feel like I should have been a 30s or 40s girl. I believe in keeping private matters private and talking to friends in person, not by Facebook or Twitter. I used to have a Facebook but I deleted it because 1) I was procrastinating on it too much and 2) I felt like the whole world knew everything about me; there was no mystery anymore. I know that having this blog is kind of hypocritical, but in a sense I'm not really telling everyone about me. I'm merely commenting on different experiences that I've had as a journalist or on articles that I've read. I'm not letting people know my location right now or who I'm with or what I'm doing. I miss the olden days, where everything was an adventure and people didn't stare at their phones or laptops all the time. Like I said, I'm old-fashioned, and I know that the world won't go back to the way it used to be. However, I don't have to fall in the trend and be a follower.


Photo courtesy of weblogs.baltimoresun.com

No comments:

Post a Comment